Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My three day Daniel fast


Well. The Daniel fast was a success for the three days my body allowed me to partake in it.  Ever since I had my surgery to remove my colon, I have felt much better than I have in the 12 years prior with my Ulcerative Colitis.  That being a wonderful thing, I often forget that I still have special dietary needs.  Eating a diet primarily of vegetables is not one of those things that I can do without much preparation and augmentation to the plan.  That is not saying I did not learn anything in the three days I attempted it.

What I learned is that eating healthy is much easier than I thought, and much tastier. I will have to figure out how to make this healthier eating work best for me… certain balance of additional supplements etc. Eating the way Daniel did may be something that is a bit extreme for daily eating all year round, but cutting out the processed junk and eating more homemade, natural foods is the way God intended us to eat.
When temptation came my way I turned to God… I prayed for things that came to my mind when I saw that chocolate bar… and I was fine not eating it.

I found that if I refocus, and avoid processed foods I am spending less money.  I have these urges to go out and eat fast food far too often.  It is something I did not realize I did as often as I did… that may sound a bit strange, but when we get into habits, well they are habits that we do without thinking. I spent money on this food when I had perfectly good food at home.

My three days of fasting taught me how to be more aware of what is going on around me and inside me.

No comments:

Followers